Ethiopian, 838 tons
One of the beautiful little Aberdeen clippers, built in 1864 by A. Hall of Aberdeen for George Thomson's White Star Line. She made her first voyage to Melbourne in 68 days and ran regularly in the Australian trade until 1886. In that year she had a wonderful race home with the Orontes. The two ships left Sydney together: they were close to each other on several occasions during the voyage and the Ethiopian eventually docked only a tide ahead. Later she was sold to the Norwegians and eventually abandoned off the Scilly Isles and, although she was subsequently towed into port, she had to be condemned.
This lithograph was made in the 1950s by litho-offset on very high quality, thick paper. The paper is creamy white and in excellent condition.
© Fine Rare Prints
|Paper Size||30 x 40 cm (15.5 x 11.75 inches)|
|Size Category||31 to 40 cm [12 to 16 inches]|